The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies serves as an umbrella office to ensure consistency in graduate education policies and effectiveness. Typically graduate students in each school will report to their department or Dean's Office, especially in regards to signing up for classes, applying for graduation, or handing in their theses.


I am a prospective student...

How can I find out the status of my application/where to send my scores/if you've received my information?

I'm having an issue with my online application. Can you help me?
OGPS does not handle the admissions process. To find out the status of your application, please contact the department chair of the program you are applying to. Alternately, you may contact the following people:

  • Ann Schumacher, Director of Graduate Admissions, School of Liberal Arts: 504-314-7859
  • Janet Morgan, Director of Graduate Programs, School of Science and Engineering: 504-314-2910
  • Zylkia Lozano, Financial and Student Affairs Manager, School of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences: 504-988-3441


  • Jake Korn, Assistance Director of Admissions, School of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences: 504-988-5043
  • Amanda Rosales, Assistant Dean of Enrollment Management, School of Social Work: 1-800-631-8234
  • Ian Shirt, Assistant Director of Admissions, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine: 504-988-8876

I'm an incoming student or postdoctoral fellow, and where can I find...

  • Information on Housing? This page offers information about the options available for graduate housing at Tulane.
  • The best places to live? Or a roommate? We often recommend the Facebook group OCRA (Off-Campus Residents Association) as a place for incoming students to interact with other students, ask about landlords, or particular housing needs.

Can your office provide me with funding for...

  • help with my dissertation research? Unfortunately, OGPS does not have the means to help students with funding for their dissertations or theses. Your home department or school may have funds for this purpose.
  • funds to attend a conference?  Yes, you can apply for travel awards to attend of present (you can find more here). 
  • conducting research? Unfortunately, our office is unable to provide support for summer or supplemental programs at this time.

Is my graduate fellowship, teaching assistantship, or research assistantship taxable?
The answer to this will vary greatly based on the position you are in, as well as the department you are in. Our office coordinates a limited number of BOR-SREB fellowships each year, and those are not taxed; however, you will be responsible for reporting the income on your taxes. If you are receiving a departmental fellowship or position, you should contact your department's director of graduate studies about whether it will be taxed.

Where do I submit my application for graduation and thesis?
All materials for graduation (your application, copies of your thesis) go to the Dean's Office of your school. Neither The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, nor the Office of Academic Affairs, accepts these materials.


International Student FAQ

I don't have a social security number, and the online application is requiring one. What can I do?
Please enter the following in lieu of a social security number: 000-00-0000. This will allow you to proceed with the application, and our admissions staff will be able to tell you are an international student applicant.

What kind of visa do I need?
For information about visas and renewals, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars.

Will I need a Social Security Number for my fellowship?
This will vary depending on  your fellowship and whether or not it will be taxed. 

Who should I contact about English for Academic and Professional Purposes courses, testing, or seminars?
You can reach out to Robert Connor, Director of English for Academic and Professional Purposes, for more information about EAPP programs and opportunities at Tulane.